PASET-RSIF PHD SCHOLARSHIPS – 2019
3-4 Year Doctoral Training Scholarship in PASET RSIF Thematic Area
PASET-RSIF is offering upto 45 PhD scholarships at one of ten RSIF African Host Universities in the following thematic areas: ICTs including big data and artificial intelligence; Food security and agribusiness; Minerals, Mining and Materials Engineering; Energy including renewables, and Climate Change. The RSIF scholarship will be awarded in September 2019.
Closing date for applications: 22nd July 2019
Any application received after this date will not be considered or acknowledged. Kindly note that only successful candidates will be contacted.
PhD SCHOLARSHIP PACKAGE
PASET-RSIF will provide full scholarships and will cover the following:
- 45 RSIF PhD scholarships are available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries who do not have a PhD degree, and who are not currently enrolled in any PhD Program
- The scholarships cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and research support.
- Return airfare from/to home country
- RSIF scholars are eligible to benefit from competitive research grant awards by submitting proposals in collaboration with faculty and international partners to strengthen their research excellence.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS
- The scholarships are open to nationals of a cub-Saharan African country who do not have a PhD degree
- Preference will be given to young faculty without PhD degrees
- Women are especially encouraged to apply
- Priority will be given to women and existing young academic faculty at African Universities;
- Young African scientists and engineers who are entering academia, industry or business;
- Hold a Master’s degree in a relevant field, and must be willing to enroll into a full-time PhD program at an RSIF African Host University.
- Additional specific entrance requirements will be considered for admission depending on the eligible PhD program at the RSIF AHU selected by the candidate. For information on applicant requirements for each application for detailed eligibility and admissions criteria;
- A working knowledge of English or French (written & spoken);
- Completed application forms and accompanying supporting documents must be received ONLINE . Note: please start the application process as soon as possible, especially if some of the supporting documents are difficult to obtain.
The application process is two-fold:
- Applications for places should be made to the preferred RSIF African Host University. AHUs and their individual application forms are listed here. Kindly see section 3.0 on the application form for specific requirements for the university you are applying to. Please note, you DO NOT need to submit a separate application to the University directly. You also DO NOT need to pay any application fees at this time.
- Once the applicant meets the University qualifications, and they have collected all the documents to be uploaded including the completed application form, then they can proceed to apply for the scholarship.
Go here, click apply now at the bottom of the Phd program on this page to apply and upload the following documents:
- Completed application form for the RSIF African Host University and PhD Program you are applying
- Curriculum Vitae (please use the Europass Format: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Certified copies of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates. Please combine into one file. If necessary, you may zip the file to make it smaller for uploading. For pdf files, can reduce the size using the online tool athttps://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf
- Certified copies of university transcripts for Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. Please combine into one file. If necessary, you may zip the file to make it smaller for uploading. For pdf files, can reduce the size using the online tool athttps://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf
- Copy of a signed recommendation letter from your employer (if currently employed) or University where MSc was undertaken. The letter must be on institute letterhead.
- If applicable, an official letter confirming that you will be granted study leave from your place of employment. The letter must be on official letterhead.
- Additional documents will be required by the RSIF African Host University in which you are applying. See section 3.0 of the application form for more details on the specific eligibility criteria and application requirements
- Copy of Passport biodata page (the page that has your picture and personal details)
Once you have entered and uploaded everything, click the Continue button. This will take you to the Review your Entries page where you can review and change anything in your application. When you are satisfied with your application, click the Continue button to submit your application. This cannot be undone, so please make sure all your application information is correct before submitting. We will send an email acknowledgement when we receive your completed online application.
- DO NOT submit your application by email. Only applications and accompanying documents submitted online will be accepted.
- It is highly recommended that you submit your application well before the deadline, especially if you commonly experience slow Internet speeds or frequent Internet outages.
- It is also highly recommended that you reduce the sizes of your files as much as possible to make them easier to upload.
- Accepted formats for documents: doc, docx, ppt, pptx, pdf, rtf, zip, rar, jpg, jpeg, png, bmp, tif
- Maximum size for any one file is 5 MB.
In case of any questions regarding the RSIF PhD Program or your application, kindly contact:
Doctoral Scholarships Officer,
Regional Coordination Unit (RCU), icipe
Thank you in advance for considering this opportunity.
We look forward to receiving your application.